Sustainability is an increasingly important issue in our world today, as we face a number of environmental and social challenges that require long-term solutions. In this article, we will explore how sustainability relates to our daily lives and how we can contribute to a more just and sustainable world. From choosing products from sustainable brands to implementing sustainable practices in our daily lives, there are many ways we can make a difference. Through reflection and action, we can work together to build a more sustainable future for all.
What is sustainability?
Sustainability is the ability to meet the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs. It is an approach that seeks to balance economic, social and environmental development in a way that is beneficial to all and can be sustained in the long term.
In practical terms, sustainability implies the adoption of practices and technologies that reduce environmental impact and promote social and economic justice. This can include the use of renewable energy, the conservation of natural resources, the promotion of labor equity and the inclusion of marginalized groups, among other things.
Sustainability is relevant in many areas, from the production and consumption of goods and services to political and business decision-making. By working towards a more sustainable world, we can contribute to a more just and livable future for all.
What types of sustainability exist?
It is important to note that sustainability cannot be achieved in isolation. All of these types of sustainability are interconnected and must work together to achieve a more sustainable world for all. Let's see each one:
Economic sustainability refers to the ability to sustain economic growth and development in a way that is beneficial to all and can be sustained over the long term. This includes promoting economic equity and financial inclusion, protecting labor rights, and promoting innovation and competitiveness.
By the satisfaction of needs we understand the action of covering that gap in the needs of our clients. Therefore, it avoid "generating that need to buy" so common in fast fashion companies with numerous collections, at a very low price and with very low store availability so that either you buy it at the moment, or you will never have the opportunity to buy it again.
The efficiency in resource management it means making the most of the resources we have and investing in R&D. In this way, we are not only reducing the impact of the actions we carry out, but also, an investment in innovation and development allows us to create more sustainable and efficient solutions.
Social sustainability refers to the ability to promote social justice and equity for all, regardless of background or circumstances. This includes promoting the inclusion and participation of all groups in society, protecting human rights and promoting equal opportunities.
With this topic I don't want to tell you about the whole world saying that the fashion industry is the second most polluting industry and that it is the slavery of the 21st century.
Honestly, it is something that more and more people know and I do not like to repeat arguments that are far from causing an impact on people.
I prefer to talk about this topic putting a example which is very simple: When you have that item of clothing, about to take you home, from a fast fashion store, imagine that it has been made by a close relative (your mother, your best friend) under those same conditions of semi-slavery. My stomach turns just thinking about it. That is why the whole movement of the slow fashion
Knowing how important it is respect ALL workers in the production line We found several ways to do this. It is about local production or production in countries with living standards much lower than ours.
There are many companies that produce in countries like Bangladesh, China, India, etc under the seal of Fair Wear Foundation . The most positive thing is the low production costs, since a living wage in these countries is much less than a living wage in Spain. The negative part of production in these countries are the levels of pollution produced by the transport of merchandise.
On the other hand we have the local production , with a much lower carbon footprint but higher production costs. As a consumer, the choice of one type of production or another is in our hands.
In Clotsy Brand We are committed to local production and the CO2 savings which means not having to send products from one country to another.
Environmental sustainability refers to the ability to protect and conserve natural resources and the environment for future generations. This includes reducing the environmental impact of the production and consumption of goods and services, conserving biodiversity, and protecting the environment.
Actions so simple like running out of the house and buying a coffee because you haven't had time to make it at home, implies that that coffee cup will probably end up in a common dump, the Mediterranean Sea . Now imagine that instead of drinking that coffee only you, they drink it every day at lunchtime 10,000 workers from a multinational, a lot of waste , right? And that is why companies play such an important role in tackling climate change.
What a company Being truly committed to the environment means that you must do everything possible to leave things better or, at least, the same as they were when you started your activity (environmentally speaking). This implies that You must do everything possible to reduce your carbon footprint , taking into account the energy costs of product production, transport, packaging...
It is obviously very difficult to have an environmental cost 0 when developing an economic activity and that is why, the company should allocate resources to generate a positive impact on the planet . There are many ways to do this, such as trying to use renewable energy sources, working with companies that plant trees to reduce the company's carbon footprint, or collaborating with associations that deal with weather emergencies.
The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and Agency 2030
The need to bet on a more sustainable life has reached all areas of our lives. That is why the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) were developed. These are a set of 17 global goals and 169 targets that seek to address the main threats and challenges to sustainability worldwide. They were adopted by the United Nations General Assembly in 2015 and are part of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. The SDGs are the following:
- Zero poverty: This goal seeks to eliminate extreme poverty and reduce poverty in all its forms in all countries. This includes promoting policies and programs that support the poorest and most vulnerable people, as well as promoting employment and economic opportunities for all.
- Zero Hunger: This goal seeks to eliminate hunger and achieve food security and improved nutrition for all. This includes promoting policies and programs that improve access to nutritious and affordable food for all, as well as promoting sustainable practices in food production and consumption.
- Health and well-being: This objective seeks to guarantee a healthy life and promote well-being for all at all ages. This includes the promotion of policies and programs that improve the quality of life for all, especially the most vulnerable groups, and the promotion of universal access to quality health services.
- Quality Education: This goal seeks to ensure inclusive, equitable and quality education for all and promote lifelong learning opportunities. This includes promoting policies and programs that improve the accessibility and quality of education, especially for the most marginalized groups, and promoting training and lifelong learning opportunities.
- Clean Water and Sanitation: This goal seeks to ensure universal access to safe and affordable water and sanitation. This includes the promotion of policies and programs that improve the sustainable management of water resources and the promotion of safe and affordable sanitation systems for all.
- Affordable and Clean Energy: This goal seeks to ensure the availability and sustainable use of affordable, clean and modern energy for all. This includes the promotion of policies and programs that encourage the transition to clean and renewable energy sources and the improvement of energy efficiency in all sectors.
- Decent work and economic growth: This goal seeks to promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth and full and productive employment for all. This includes the promotion of policies and programs that foster decent employment and the protection of labor rights, as well as the promotion of economic opportunities and financial inclusion for all.
- Industry, innovation and infrastructure: This objective seeks to promote sustainable industry, innovation and infrastructure. This includes promoting policies and programs that encourage innovation and research, improving infrastructure, and promoting sustainable practices in the industry.
- Reducing Inequalities : This Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) focuses on eliminating poverty and reducing inequalities between and within countries. This includes the elimination of extreme poverty and the reduction of poverty in all its forms, as well as the promotion of equal opportunities and results for all people, regardless of their socioeconomic background, gender, age, race or ethnicity.
Sustainable cities and communities: This SDG focuses on the promotion of sustainable cities and communities, including the conservation and sustainable use of natural resources, the mitigation and adaptation to climate change, and the promotion of the quality of life of people in cities and rural areas. It also includes promoting equal opportunities and reducing the vulnerability of communities to disasters and extreme weather events.
Responsible consumption and production: This SDG focuses on promoting sustainable consumption and production patterns, with the aim of reducing negative environmental impact and improving efficiency in the use of natural resources. This includes the promotion of sustainable production and consumption at the individual and company level, as well as the promotion of innovation and research in sustainable technologies.
Climate Action: This SDG focuses on climate change mitigation and adaptation, with the goal of reducing greenhouse gas emissions and protecting people and ecosystems against the effects of climate change. This includes promoting the transition to clean energy sources and promoting the resilience of communities and ecosystems to climate change.
Life below water: This SDG focuses on the conservation and sustainable use of the oceans, seas and marine resources for the benefit of present and future generations. This includes the protection of marine biodiversity and the conservation of marine ecosystems, as well as the promotion of sustainable fishing and the responsible use of oceans and marine resources.
Life on Land: This goal seeks to protect, restore and promote the sustainable use of land ecosystems, including biodiversity, to achieve sustainable development. This includes the conservation and restoration of protected areas and the promotion of sustainable practices in agriculture, forestry and other activities.
Life of freshwater ecosystems: This goal seeks to protect and restore freshwater ecosystems, including rivers, lakes, aquifers, and wetlands, to ensure the sustainable use of their resources. This includes reducing pollution and degradation of freshwater ecosystems and promoting sustainable practices in the management of water resources.
Peace, Justice and Strong Institutions: This goal seeks to promote peace, justice and strong institutions globally. This includes the promotion of non-violence, justice and respect for human rights, as well as the strengthening of democratic institutions and the rule of law.
Partnerships to achieve the goals: This goal seeks to foster collaboration and cooperation among different actors, including governments, businesses, civil society organizations, and others, to achieve the sustainable development goals. This includes promoting alliances
In conclusion, sustainability is a key concept to ensure a viable future for everyone on Earth . We can all contribute to sustainability at our level, whether through our fair trade consumer choices and by adopting a sustainable lifestyle , our labor practices, or our participation in local and global decision-making. Together we can build a more sustainable world for all. If you found it interesting, we invite you to leave your comment!