In other articles, we have talked about sustainable fashion, slow fashion, ecological materials and many other topics. And in this article we are going to talk about vegan clothing and vegan fabrics. In addition, we will recommend you some vegan fashion brands, and we will show you tips to recognise them. Our aim is to give you all the knowledge you need to choose a more sustainable way of life.
If you've found this article, you probably want to know more about it. So let's get to it!
What is vegan clothing?
Vegan clothing is a highly sustainable garment that is not made from the slaughter or export of animals. No products from different species are used in its production. This is because it greatly promotes the protection of all living beings, being totally against its use for the realization of any type of garment.
This type of clothing guarantees the use of 100% natural materials and not the use of animals at any time of its manufacture. These garments are made from vegetable fibres such as linen, cotton, synthetic fabrics, synthetic fibres, synthetic feathers, synthetic fur, recycled polyester, acrylics, cotton flannel, hemp, twill, nylon, recycled plastic, thermolite, rayon, microfibres, gore-tex, primaloft and polartec wind pro.
And, as we have said in different articles, let's remember that the fashion industry is one of the most polluting industries on the planet. For example, around 290 million cows are slaughtered for their skin year after year. If we analyse that number annually, we can come to the conclusion that the number of only cows slaughtered is enormous, not counting the number of different animals that are slaughtered to make specific garments.
Using natural fabrics is one of the best options used for vegan garments and not contributing to pollution.
What fabrics can vegan use ?
The vegan fabrics include: linen, lyocell, soy fibre, seaweed fibres, coconut fibre and organic cotton or recycled cotton. The number of brands or entrepreneurs who want to opt for vegan fabrics is enormous, because they are not interested in contributing to pollution, nor in the cruelty suffered by animals for large clothing productions.
- Lynen: these fabrics are extremely durable, with the ability to adsorb about 20% of their weight. It is a recyclable, biodegradable and hypoallergenic material.
- Lyocell: also known as tencel. It is produced from eucalyptus wood waste. It is a fabric that does not lose its quality easily and is as soft as silk. It is biodegradable and 100% recyclable.
- Soya fibre: a silky and warm fabric that offers long life and is completely ecological and biodegradable.
- Seaweed fibre: this type of fibre is produced from dried brown seaweed that is crushed and then ground. The benefits of this fabric are that it activates cell regeneration, detoxifies the body, prevents inflammation and itchy skin. Its fibres have the ability to absorb and let moisture escape, keeping you cool and warm at all times.
- Coconut fibre: this fabric is similar to rayon and is known to be very silky.
- Organic cotton: this material is used because it is not produced with harmful chemicals, uses less water, is much easier to care for and is very soft to the touch.
Which clothing brands are vegans?
Buying vegan clothing nowadays is much easier than it seems. Here are some highly sustainable vegan clothing and footwear brands
This Spanish footwear brand, which offers totally ecological and sustainable vegan shoes with great durability, made from recycled materials. Its aim is to care for the environment and promote the protection of animals and individuals.
Its garments are made from environmentally friendly materials, making a significant contribution by committing not to use products that worsen the pollution that large fashion industries have built up.
At Clotsy Brand we make sustainable and vegan clothing from organic and locally sourced materials. We opened our doors in the middle of the 2020 pandemic and the #PlasticWarrior community that has been generated has been incredible.